Re: Recommendation for a Reference Book or Site

Subject: Re: Recommendation for a Reference Book or Site
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:38:54 -0500

At 7:23 AM -0700 10/22/04, Tony Pieri wrote:

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a good reference book or web site
that covers legal requirements and standards for
technical writing in the US? I work for a company
based in Germany and in that country, legal
requirements and content standards for technical
writing are spelled out in great detail. I get
frequent requests from my German colleagues for a
reference that covers the same things for the US. I
haven't found anything suitable. Any advice you can
give me would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Tony

Tony,

There are no specific, all inclusive standards of that sort.

Industries may have a specific set of standards, but it is not expected. It is more common that companies will have these standards.

The only legal standards are those of copyright and any dealing with liability.

Content is what the boss wants, or the customers have requested.

Scientific standards for measurements are covered by government documents showing conversion, abbreviations etc. Again, usually by industry.

Scott

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com