RE: Virtual Machines for training

Subject: RE: Virtual Machines for training
From: "Sonja Marnewick" <Sonjam -at- medemass -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:05:06 +0200

Craig B writes:

>One caveat is that while VMWare helps with the software availability
and setup issues, it doesn't help with hardware >>>requirements; it
usually adds more hardware requirements. Our VMWare images require 4-12
GB of disk space.
>They don't run with less than 1 GB of RAM and don't run well with less
than
>2 GB. Networking with virtual machines is also very difficult. We're a
rather extreme case because of the hugeness of the >software tools we
work with, but in our case, VMWare can turn a new high-performance PC
into an outdated clunker very >quickly.

So this defeats the object of trying to overcome the problem of inferior
training machines heh? The programs we train on is not really that big,
but one of the applications takes about 128MB of RAM. I was hoping
there's a way we could run "virtual machines" on these PC's to recreate
the environment of a Proper Machine, loaded with Windows XP (more RAM)
and the software.

Thanks anyway Craig!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com