Re: a different resume red flag

Subject: Re: a different resume red flag
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:37:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monica Cellio" <cellio -at- pobox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 1:44 PM
Subject: a different resume red flag

> You should never send a Word source file anyway, because different
> versions of Word sometimes render things differently and your nice
> formatting might not come out that way on the other end. Send PDF
> instead.

I've encountered a divide in opinions about this. Most times that I've sent
a PDF to a prospective employer, I get a return phone call or email asking
for a Word document.
The rest of the story is that our electronic resumes often don't survive
very long in the form that we intended--when the HR or agency recruiter gets
around to it, they cut-n-paste them into databases, or into documents of
their own corporate design. This is a great incentive to abandon our resume
design efforts, focusing entirely on the writing (that is what we do,
right?), and sending it as plain text.

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com