Re: Bite your tongue interview qs

Subject: Re: Bite your tongue interview qs
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:33:32 -0600

On Wednesday, October 20, 2004, mearro -at- msn -dot- com wrote:

> Anyhow - anyone else have a similar experience? Can you think of any
> silly questions or odd interview conversations?

Fifteen years ago I moved to UT with my boyfriend who had been
accepted into grad school. Most all interviewers asked why I had
moved from the South to UT, and my (naive) answer was, well, the
truth (bad move in such a conservative state). I had one gentleman
lean back in his chair, cross his arms, and say "when do you plan on
getting married?". Uh, excuse me?? During this time of looking for a
job, I encountered many other questions of this nature that were at
least not quite so obvious.

Several years later, after having worked as an executive assistant to
the CEO of a company, I applied for a position as an assistant to a
bank president. They were wanting to pay an insultingly low wage
($8/hour, I think... at the time I was making $30K annually), so we
quickly came to the agreement that the job was not a "good fit" for
me. This gentleman actually had the nerve to tell me that it was too
bad, because "you are bright, skilled, attractive...". What????? What
does *that* have to do with how well I will do my job! Given that I
had nothing to lose, I did not hold my tongue.

Dana W.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com