Re: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Samples Query
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:57:17 -0500

OK, let's talk PC for a minute. Is it appropriate for one of my interviewers (not HR) to announce to me that he's gay and ask me whom I know in the gay community, since it turned out I knew his partner?

During the interview, the other two men (not from HR) asked to see more graphic design. I stated, "I have a calendar where women are wearing bikini's, I could show you the layout of that, if you'd like?" They said, "Yes."

Then after the interview, as I was being walked out, I was asked to email more design related samples to them in the morning. I did so.

Then the recruiter calls me late the next day and tells me they said I lacked good judgment because I showed them the PDF of the calendar.

Prudish, conservative, corporate, I don't care. It makes NO SENSE, if I apply logic.

I told this story to my girlfriend, a graphic designer, last night. She said to Photoshop a couple of digital pictures of our beautiful Fall colours and maybe one of the lakes in my neighborhood and then put those in place of two women in the calendar and use THAT as the sample.

That's the best advice I've gotten so far!

--
Michele

www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber empyre

David Castro wrote:

The response of at Firm A was sexism and the response at Firm B was
judgmental.

I'm surprised that I'm the first to offer a dissenting opinion from
those who have been posting on this subject. It makes me wonder if the
posts to date really do reflect the opinion of the vast majority of
the list, or if those who are of a different opinion simply didn't
want to be labeled a prude by responding.

Well, maybe I'll be taking on the title of prude, but I think the kind
of photographs that must have been in that calendar really don't
belong in a portfolio of someone who wants to work for mainstream
businesses.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com