RE: TW and QA

Subject: RE: TW and QA
From: Liz Goodwin <Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:58:15 -0400

mlist asked:
-Are there actual assembly manuals that are more detailed
-than just reams of drawings and parts lists? It would seem
-to be the job of the engineer who specifies the parts to
-indicate placement and orientation. It would also seem to
-be the job of those engineers and CAD people to indicate
-units on the specs and assembly drawings.

-Maybe somebody who has worked on such a project can describe
-the process and where the TW fits in.

We manufacture process mass spectrometers. The engineers design the
instruments, create the drawings and the BOMs. I, as the tech writer, use
the drawings in the manuals and take any specifications from the drawings
and the BOMs or directly from the horse's mouth. If I find an error because
I compared drawings that don't match, or was given information that is
contrary to what I have in hardcopy, I go to the engineer and report my
findings. It is his/her responsibility to get back to me with the correct
information. I am an additional check in the system, I am not QA.

Production builds the unit using the engineering drawings and BOM. They are
another check in the system. QA inspects the individual parts that come in
the door from outside vendors to make sure they are in spec - from screws
to PC boards. In this way, only specified parts are used in the units. If a
part or drawing changes once it is released, an Engineering Change Notice
(ECN) must be written to document the change. This changes the revision of
the drawing and the BOM. Since Document Control is responsible for
processing the ECNs, the tech writer is always up to date on any changes
that affect the manuals and creates an ECN to make those changes in the
manual. This also changes the revision level of the manual so that only the
current manual revision is used. Since we print and distribute manuals on
demand, the latest revision is always the only one available.

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Process Instruments
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com
412-826-2427

There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the cat
just lies there, dozing; and the world quietly reshapes itself to suit his
comfort and convenience.
--Allen and Ivy Dodd

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com