Re: RoboHELP X3 Questions

Subject: Re: RoboHELP X3 Questions
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:48:03 -0400

Charles Jones wrote:

> 1. Does version X3 requires product activation?

No.

> 2. Are RoboHelp X3 source files are compatible with
> X5, so I can share the source files with clients (that
> is, so we can share projects back and forth, like you
> can do with Word 2000, Word 2003, etc.)?

The project file is not compatible but the content files are (although I haven't actually tried sharing them so I can't swear to this)

> 3. Does RoboHelp Office X3 include RoboHTML as well?

Yes.

> 4. Any major reason to prefer X5 over X3? (Or any
> reasons to avoid X3 -- major bugs, or anything?)

X5 has version control (and you can integrate with Visual SourceSafe) but otherwise it wasn't a big change for me. I never had problems with X3.

The one gotcha may be dealing with Word. I had to upgrade to X5 because X3 wouldn't play nice with Word 2003. If you're still using Word 2000 or Word XP or if you don't need to generate Word documents this won't be a problem.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com