Re: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Samples Query
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:47:56 -0400

Michele,

Most companies want employees who will do what they're told without arguing or fighting about it. Sometimes, during the interview process, they give lip service to the notion that they want independent thinkers who will interact honestly with their superiors (hierarchical superiors, not moral superiors); but when it's time to downsize, guess which employees stay and which ones go.

I think the negative reactions you got were based on an unreflective hypocrisy of people who would want you to do exactly what _they_ want you to do but can't see your work as evidence that you did exactly what your previous customer wanted you to do.

So what you might do with this particular sample is couch it (okay, yes, there are some of those models I wouldn't mind couching) in terms of _doing the job the customer asked you to do_, doing it without getting all political on them, and doing it well.

That said, you need to be true to yourself, too. If those are not the kinds of companies you want to work for or the portrait of yourself you want to project, then don't take that approach. Ask yourself this: If Playboy offered you a job based on the quality of this sample and the skills you demonstrated, would you take it? Alternatively, if you had had a position (sorry, a job) at Playboy as a graphic artist and done well at it, would you be proud to list it on your résumé? If so, then any potential employer who would count that as evidence of your moral degeneracy would certainly be someone you wouldn't want to work for. If the answers to these two questions are No, however, then I'd say drop the sample from your portfolio, because it doesn't reflect who you are.

Dick

--
With no portfolio at http://www.dmargulis.com/, so the issue doesn't arise for me.

Michele Davis wrote:

Hello all,

Last year I created a calendar called Minnesota's Finest. I digitally altered the women, and I designed it, then made a Flash website for my client. I've shown this is a sample of my graphic design because it is a really well done calendar, sold a lot in Barnes & Noble, etc.

[snip]

So, what to do? Bury it on my site so deep it will be hard to find? Dump the sample altogether? Argh! I don't know what to do and am feeling frustrated.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com