Re: Fonts in Windows text boxes

Subject: Re: Fonts in Windows text boxes
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:28:13 -0400

David,

This just in from "Alan" at alt.binaries.fonts (folks there like to maintain anonymity for some reason):

"You can force Windows (Win 98, no guarantees for other versions) to
use different fon (bitmap) fonts by renaming or removing the files.

"Eg in the /Windows/fonts directory I had sserife.fon and sseriff.fon
(sans serif).
Windows chooses one of these to use depending on your screen
resolution. But you can force it to use one or the other (different
sizes) by removing one. And you can get more creative. If you delete
both you get a serif font used everywhere, for instance. There are
probably rules that govern this, but you can just experiment, I don't
think you can really do anything fatal here, though of course, BACK UP
all your fon files before you do this. Also, Windows, especially later
versions, may try to prevent you messing with these files. Boot to DOS
if that's a problem."

Dick

David Slonosky wrote:

Thanks to all for all the help. I thought it would have been in the Control Panel, like many other folks, but as stated, those Font entries don't govern the text box font entered by the user. I was thinking maybe it was under control of the developer building a Windows .exe, and that the default was a standard system font.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com