RE: Another question to ponder

Subject: RE: Another question to ponder
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:49:12 -0700

My motivation behind asking this question is...well...my own advancing age:^) I've been a technical writer for 11 years. I started doing this when I was 31 (you do the math.)

Advancing age? You're just a young whipper-snapper. I didn't even take my first full-time tech writing job until I was your age...

I specialize in software development life cycle documents. Since most developers are young (they tend to "burn out" by their late 30's), I've been in your situation many times. At one dot-com, I was not only the oldest employee, but I could have given birth to 75% of the people there. My direct manager was younger than my children.

My life experience makes me more valuable as a technical communicator. My years teaching college helps me to fit in with the younger crowd. Do we do lunch? Sometimes, but not often. When we do, I enjoy the conversations around me, even if it is about music or movies or such. Sometimes, I even learn something.

Diane Evans, who is retiring in 14 years and 2 weeks, but who's counting?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com