Re: Replacing FrameMaker with OpenOffice.org

Subject: Re: Replacing FrameMaker with OpenOffice.org
From: sburnf -at- au1 -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:43:34 -0600

Hi Bruce. Thanks for the interesting write-up.

Like Ian, I think Frame's keyboard shortcuts deserve to be given more
weight. I use them a lot, to apply character and para styles, insert
variables and symbols, apply and remove conditional text, and much more.
Being able to record macros is good but it's not really the same thing.

Unique features--Does Writer have an equivalent to these?

- Generated lists (of paragraphs, markers, references, etc). This is
another feature I use quite a lot, though admittedly it's mainly to do
things that aren't provided directly through the Frame UI.

- Equation editor

- Document comparison. Frame's isn't very good--if Writer has a decent one
that would definitely be a plus.

- Table designer. You mention that Frame has a Tables menu, but so does
every mickey-mouse WP package. I think that, as with the Paragraph and
Character Designers, having the Table Designer is a step up in usability
over simply having styles.

The absence of multiple undo and drag-and-drop are 'unique features' of
Frame that probably should be mentioned as pluses for Writer.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield
Gentoo Communications
mailto:stuartb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com