Definition Of Task Analysis Was Re: task analysis

Subject: Definition Of Task Analysis Was Re: task analysis
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

Definition of Task Analysis:

End-users have business goals. Essential tasks are
the actions that the end-user must take to achieve
these goals. Essential tasks are unchanging - they
exist irregardless of what devices(including software)
exist to aid in accomplishing the tasks. In the main,
task analysis is discovery of what those essential
tasks are and how they all interrelate.

How I Do Task Analysis?:

I walk through multiple iterrations of logical data
flow diagrams with end-users to obtain and verify my
understanding of essential tasks and their
interrelationships. (DFDs are great for walkthroughs.)

I then redraw (i.e., repartition) the diagrams until
the interfaces between tasks are minimized. I now
have a comprehensive, rigorous understanding of tasks
and their interrelationships, AND the tasks are
"chunked" to be right-size.

Why I Do A Task Analysis?:

After performing the analysis described above, writing
clear, concise, user-friendly documentation is a
relatively straight shot.

Tony Markos

--- TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Maybe the point of my reply was lost...
>
> How do you define task analysis, and given that
> definition, how does
> it help you in your job as a technical writer?

http://vote.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com