Re: Another question I've had for years... and Re: Enchanted Development Organizations Was: Re: Expectations too high?

Subject: Re: Another question I've had for years... and Re: Enchanted Development Organizations Was: Re: Expectations too high?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:48:17 -0700 (PDT)

Software is abstract. Most people freeze like deer in
car headlights when confronted with dealing with the
abstract. A car, or any other physical device, is
concrete. People feel much more comfortable (i.e.
safe) when dealing with the concrete - including
comfort in complaining.

Tony Markos

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

I suspect that this is the bottom line. What I've
never been able to figure out is why customers
tolerate defects in SW that would have them screaming
for blood in any other product they paid the same
money for.

That reminds me of a comparision made by Bob Young,
the founder of Red Hat. People wouldn't buy a car
whose hood was weldeddown, he said, but they'll buy
proprietary software...

http://vote.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com