water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)

Subject: water intoxication (was RE: Carpal Tunnel)
From: "Glenda S. McKinney" <glenda -at- displaysearch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:36:47 -0500

> ...Though the recommended minimum is eight 8 oz glasses of water a day, we
> should really be taking in half our body weight in water per day....

Half my body's weight in water every day!?

A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, and since I weigh about 16X that,
I'd have to drink 8 gallons a day to do this. During last weekend's music
festival--when I was out in temperatures over 90 degrees for 10-12 hours a
day--I drank 4-6 liters (about 1-1.5 gallons) a day (and visited the
port-o-potties a few more times than I would have preferred).

When I was working with a Registered Dietician a few years back, she told
our group that we ought to be drinking "six to eight" glasses a day; one
class member mis-heard this as "sixty-eight" glasses a day. At the next
session, she complained that she just couldn't drink more than about 30
glasses a day. (At 8 ounces, that would be close to 2 gallons.) The RD
expressed concern about water intoxication; apparently, you can drink so
much that you dilute your blood to a dangerous point.
http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm discusses the
problem.

Carpal-tunnel-wise, though, drinking water does have a benefit. Drinking a
liter or two per business day forces me to get out of my chair regularly,
which helps my back, shoulders, and wrist tremendously. I can't imagine
drinking much more at my desk and being able to be, umm, productive
job-wise.

_____

Glenda S. McKinney
Editorial Manager, DisplaySearch
1301 South Capital of Texas Highway . B-125 . Austin TX 78746
glenda -at- displaysearch -dot- com . 512/459-3126 x101

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com