Re: Placement of cautions in procedures

Subject: Re: Placement of cautions in procedures
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:48:00 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 09/09/2004 04:57:39 PM:

> Instruction in this case would be irrelevant. There is sufficient
> documentation of regulatory requirements and common industry practice

We're on the same side of the discussion Gene. Only brought up my examples
to highlight the reasons all those regulations and industry practice
evolved the way they did.

I suppose that otherwise, we risk having to fend off arguments to change
D/W/C/N representation by people from fields that don't have to adhere to
strict regulations and guidelines. Have to show how the principles apply
in those situations that are not governed by strict rule and regulation.
Also, it might spread lessons learned to non-regulated fields.

Military and industrial practices and requirements evolved for a reason.
It took something mighty important to get the rule written, so it better
be a MUCH more important reason considered against a FULL understanding of
the requirement that led to the rule in the first place.

The full understanding of the original requirement is key. Considered in
that light, "because it's the way we've always done it" is an acceptable
reason that it should never be changed. Because, considering the
requirements to insert a rule, you can assume that even if you don't know
the original reason, it must have been air tight.

Much like the recent "Blank Page" debate. <lol>

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com