Re: Installation guide for Enterprise application

Subject: Re: Installation guide for Enterprise application
From: Atul J <atulj_1977 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 04:52:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

Sorry was on vacation and therefore saw your mail
today, which I guess is a bit late now, as the thread
is already under the stack.

Anyway as u said, yes the management wants a shorter
installation procedure in the documentation, but just
for the sake of documentation, will a company change
it's product installation procedure...a very
rare/mission impossible scenario right?

In addition, if we give just the bare minimum
necessitites, the user who installs might end up
asking more questions when he is installing, which
might in the end, take more than 30 mins and the user
might end up with a scowl on his face rather than a
smile after using the product!

Therefore, I think it's up to Shelly to convince the
management to give a detailed Installation Procedure
along with pointers to the Troubleshooting section,
where the user might find help if he faces problems.

Isn't this approach fair? Shelly should approach the
guide from a user's angle rather than the company's
angle, which is in turn beneficial to the company!

Her success lies in projecting this point to the
management in her company:-)

That is my point,
AJ

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> If I understood the original post, the problem was
> that management
> wants the installation to take less than 30 minutes,
> and using the
> instructions suitable for a user without IT
> experience, it takes
> longer to install the application following the
> instructions.
>
> > First of all, apologies to say that I do agree
> with
> > your management's view of a user without IT exp
> being
> > able to install the application based on the
> > Installation Guide.
>

> =====
> John Posada
> Senior Technical Writer