Re: Robohelp vs. Dreamweaver

Subject: Re: Robohelp vs. Dreamweaver
From: "Eileen Neumann" <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:41:42 -0600

Thanks David. I hadn't thought of asking the manufacturer, and will do
that.

As to the financial processors - I'm actually not sure how the software
they're using works, technically. It's the front end of a large database
with account information on it. It's not web based. They access it from
their workstations.

I think the kind of instructions / documentation we want are going to be
quite seperate from the actual application staff is using.

Thanks for your help!

Eileen

> Eileen,
>
> I believe they are completely correct that Word documents are about the *worst* thing for these cases. In fact, careless use of Word can prove disastrous, especially when docs are edited but "track changes" is enabled.
>
> Now, putting it on the Intranet. What product to use seems to depend upon what your preferred output migtht be. Now that Macromedia owns RoboHelp, they should be fairly reliable at suggesting which is better for your purposes...although, of course, there are other contenders if you were open to them.
>
> When you speak of "application processors"...are they using a particular program or set of programs to do their work? If so, are these Web applications or do they reside on the processor's workstation? That would determine the sort of output you select. RoboHelp has a Web-based help output as well as being able to produce Microsoft "HTML Help" (the compiled .chm variety). Whether it has advantages over Dreamweaver at the moment for this, I must leave to the many others that are more current with RoboHelp than am I.
>
> David
> Presently "between gigs" as a technical, marcom, and corporate writer/editor/trainer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com