RE: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?

Subject: RE: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:41:15 -0700

Yabbut... I'm listening to what Steve said, and I hear Lee's
response... But think. If you pay a company to develop a web
site for you, you get the web site of your dreams and way down
at the bottom in the footer in the smallest and most unobtrusive
type, is a "developed by" credit that I'll wager nobody negotiated
for and nobody objected to, it was just done. <whew! that was a
sentence, wasn't it! <g>)

So why can't we do the same thing? Because we're not the marketing
whizzes our marcomm counterparts are? Think about it.

My question -- Has anybody just gone and done it -- put a "developed
by" credit in the docs? Did you get called on it? Inquiring minds
wanna know!

-Sue Gallagher

Steven Oppenheimer wrote:

> If I may say so myself, I have created some pretty sizzling
> documentation for them. It occurred to me that, since this stuff is
> going out to other companies, it would help me if I got some credit in
> the documentation. Now, I have a very good relationship with these
> people, but there is nothing in my contract which promises me credit.
> Still, I see no harm in asking. My idea is to have something on the
> copyright page -- and also, in some suitable spot in the online help --
> which reads something like:
>
> Documentation developed by Oppenheimer Communications (www.OpComm.com)
> and the Staff of SuperNetworkWizards, Inc. [of course we'd use the real
> company name here]
>
> Again, I see no harm in at least asking, but I was wondering if anyone
> might be able to anticipate any solid objections they might have.

Lee Hunter answered:

I suppose there's no harm in asking but if it was my company and I'm
paying the writer the going rate for his or her work I would be stunned,
to put it mildly, if the writer asked to advertise their company in my
product for free and my response would be a flat "no".

- Why should I let anyone advertise in my product, in which I've made an
enormous investment, without payment?
- What about contract programmers? Do we allow everyone to put a label
on their work? ("This dialogue box programmed by Acme Development")
- I want to make my company to look as big and well-rounded as possible.
I don't want to give customers the impression that everything was farmed
out to a bunch of contractors (even if that was the case).
- The very reason I've hired an expert like you to make such great
documentation is to enhance MY reputation and now you want the glory for
yourself.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com