Re: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?

Subject: Re: Asking for Author Credit In The Documentation?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:26:13 -0600

You can ask the company to give you credit somewhere stating that the documentation was developed by your company, but you are doing work-for-hire...meaning they own the copyright and all your words. Its what you gave up when you signed the contract.

As for getting credit in the online help, you may ask to put something in the "About" page, but don't be surprised, or upset, if they say no to both. You may also be asked to give up something for the advertising.

Al

Steven Oppenheimer wrote:

Anyway... I'm a sole proprietor, and for the past year I've been doing a lot of writing for a startup company. They have developed technology which (we hope!) will help companies improve the performance of their computer networks.

If I may say so myself, I have created some pretty sizzling documentation for them. It occurred to me that, since this stuff is going out to other companies, it would help me if I got some credit in the documentation. .... My idea is to have something on the copyright page -- and also, in some suitable spot in the online help...

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com