RE: Previous employer contacts

Subject: RE: Previous employer contacts
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:12:37 -0400

Ok, the title of the thread (if not the most recent posts)
seems vaguely related, so here goes.

What do you do if you've been at your present employment
and in your present locale (city, state, province) for
the past six to ten years and have lost touch with
former co-workers and bosses.

In my case, my former supervisors and directors from
Ericsson in Montreal have variously:

- been transferred to other parts of the globe (several)
- retired to a boat somewhere in the south Pacific (one)
- gotten married and/or left to raise kids (a few)
- moved on to other far-flung opportunities
- got laid off in the last big contraction at the Montreal site.

If I were to get laid off from my current employment,
I'd have a few people (who might be in the same boat)
to act as employment and character references. But what
if I decided that I wanted to "explore other opportunities"?
While still employed here, I couldn't exactly use my
current bosses or any of the other managers as references.
That could get quite awkward. :-)

If I'd been changing jobs every few months or even every
couple of years, I'd likely have a useful contact list
of people who had worked with me and could vouch for me.
But I tend to stay with jobs for long stretches.

Anybody else in this boat?

Kevin (still happily with SafeNet -- in case the thought police are
listening)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com