Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:36:41 -0400

> "L." <beantown_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote on 08/27/2004 10:11:35 AM:
> > I think we as individuals need to assert our right to
> > privacy by not giving in to these demands.

Too true. I've never felt more used than when I once
submitted myself to similar testing.

I'll never do it again unless the employer gives me an
offer of employment (with clear conditions based on the
tests) that I'm willing to accept before I go for the
tests. Ultimately I was offered a position, but I was
seriously lowballed and offered an overall package that
was well below what was being discussed and hinted at
before the tests. It was as if they were playing a game of
"Now you've shown you're incredibly interested in the job,
so why wouldn't you accept this offer?" I got the creeps
as soon as the HR started going on about it being standard
practice, for insurance purposes, won't affect my offer,
etc. but their refusing to discuss specific details of an
offer until after the tests.

Tests and anything not on my CV are now all on my list of
questions/requirements not to be answered until I'm
certain I want to accept the position and I know all the
terms of the offer.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com