Re: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?

Subject: Re: Transition from employee to consultant--any gotchas?
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:20:53 -0400

At 2:25 PM -0400 2004/08/25, Dick Margulis wrote:

One accountant told me that you can't get a w-2 and a 1099 from the same company in the same year.

That doesn't sound right, unless there is a whole lot of variability from state to state. I have certainly received both W2 and 1099 income from the same company in the same year. Heck, I've received both types of income from the same company on overlapping projects: an 8-week W2 documentation position in their office (to cover a maternity leave for one of their regular employees), and an off-site 1099 web redesign project that started halfway through the first gig. The IRS didn't have any problem with it, since they were separate contracts (one for an hourly wage and the other for a flat-fee project) and I had other 1099 clients during the year.

Best advice:
Talk to BOTH (a) a small business accountant and (b) a lawyer with experience in contract law as well as tax and intellectual property issues.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com