re: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: re: Why so few medical techwriters
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:05:17 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------
Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
In most hiring situations, at best a Master's will be accepted as the
equivalent of two years OTJ experience when it comes to salary
and position.
---------------------------
Really? Well that's a relief. :-) So basically, if someone has a lot of experience in technical writing, your opinion is that they would better be served by picking up an education in the field they write to write in? That makes sense

---------------------------
Bonnie Granat wrote:
No, but if you start out in midlife in the technical writing field with
a master's in technical writing, you can within a short time get up to
the level of a mid-career technical writer.
---------------------------
Now, see, this makes sense to me. Essentially, you're swapping experience for education....which is how it should be IF your education is meant to get you a better job.

Shannon Pierotti clarified her experience
Wow, well, based on that, then staying in school for an extra year (a short time really) to pick up a masters in technical writing would be the way to go. It seems that you're putting in relatively little investment for a potentially better return. The masters combined with your experience should make you very marketable. So yeah, I'd take the extra year and get the masters. Well, that's how I see it at least.

Good luck.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com