Filesystem or file system?

Subject: Filesystem or file system?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:14:35 -0400

Julie Brodeur wondered (concerning "filesystem" vs "file system"): <<does anyone know of a good online guide where I can look up such things?>>

Umm... techwr-l? <g> Google and other search engines are a wonderful tool for examining modern usage: simply type the term you want to check (in quotes, such as "search term", if you're seeking a phrase) and see how many hits you get. But DO NOT stop with just the hit count. Do two more things:

- First, evaluate the context. The botanical usage (for example) may be quite different from the computer usage. If you spot this kind of difference, redo your search with a minus sign in front of an additional keyword that pops up commonly in the search results (e.g.: -botany) to exclude that genre from subsequent searches.

- Second, evaluate the sources. A handful of hits from reputable sources such as dictionary sites or University labs are worth far more than 1 million hits from Usenet. The former tells you what the formal usage is likely to be; the latter tells you that the informal usage is drifting away from the accepted formal definition, or merely confirms your darkest suspicions about the ability of mankind to spell without an editor. (cf "Million monkeys with typewriters).

- Last but not least, evaluate how the word(s) are being used. You'll sometimes see a two-word grouping being set solid (as one word) when used adjectivally, but set as two words when used as a noun.

In short, use Google to support your powers of reasoning, not to replace them.

<<Also, is it one word or two? I have seen it both ways...>>

My own sense is that "filesystem" is just about never used legitimately as a single word; even as a compound adjective it would be hyphenated ("a file-system path name"). My Google trick shows comparable numbers of hits for both terms, but with the following notes:
- Some sources seem to use both spelling interchangeably (e.g., www.coda.cs.cmu.edu). That suggests these sources aren't necessarily credible.
- My subjective take on the matter is that the sources that use "file system" seem more reputable in general.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com