Re: Seeking info on IEEE-1063 standard

Subject: Re: Seeking info on IEEE-1063 standard
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:07:02 -0700

Lisa Wright wrote:

[I have added line breaks while quoting.
Lisa: Please fix your mailer.]

... The EITF drafts are subject to copyright.
> The issue is not ..., but whether you have a
right to distribute it.

In the IETF case, almost certainly yes.
In the IEEE case, probably not.

I didn't see anything one way or the other about
> distribution in their copyright statement (RFT
> 3667);

No. RFC 3667 "IETF Rights in Contributions" deals
mainly with the IETF acquiring rights from
contributors.

However,it has this boilerplate:

Status of this Memo

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Most or all IETF douments have that last sentence.

I'd say any standard should have it, but that is far from
the case now. In particular, standards bodies such as
IEEE derive revenue from sale of standards. I'd wager
their copyright statement is written to protect that
revenue.

... I *do* see a problem with a company wanting to use any
> product for which they are not willing to pay, ...

Yes.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com