Re: Seeking info on IEEE-1063 standard

Subject: Re: Seeking info on IEEE-1063 standard
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:40:01 -0700

Bonnie Granat wrote:

The draft, as I understand it, was freely available on the Web before
the standard was issued. What is being distributed now is not the final
approved standard, but the draft. I didn't see a problem with that, but
perhaps I'm mistaken.

I do see a problem. The boilerplate text for IETF Internet Drafts
includes:

Internet-Drafts are draft documents ...
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material ...

Anyone implementing a standard or seriously concerned about one should
get a copy of the actual standard. That way, you have some hope of
getting it right.

In my view all standards should, like the IETF ones, be freely
available. As I see it, groups like IEEE are being sleazy and greedy
when they sell theirs. They do have other income sources such as
membership dues and publication subscriptions.

That said, any company that needs an IEEE standard should buy it.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com