Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:51:34 +0000

Michele Davis wrote:

[are] design engineer's so pompous simply *because* they think
they are the wellspring of the company?

One thing I've noticed is that, for the most part, the more competent the engineer, the less likely they are to be pompous.

I've been lucky enough to work with some of the leading people in their fields. Most of them have a lack of pretension and ego and a willingness to hear other views that could almost be described as humble.

My theory is that,the more competent that they are, the less they have to compensate for feelings of inadequacy by being self-important or treating other people badly. They know that they're good, so they don't have to prove it, even to themselves.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com