Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:58:33 -0400

David,

Excellent reply!

I am in the same boat; some of the best people I've ever worked with,
including present company, are engineers. It doesn't take much on
either side, that is not much more than basic competency. I expect
them to be competent to do their work and communicate about it
appropriately, and they expect the same of me. Meet that expectation,
as with anything, and you're in. Fail to meet it and, well, you have
some saving face to do. Continue to fail and you are discredited in
their eyes.

And yes, there are many pompous people in this world, and not all are
engineers. ;-) I've met my unfair share of pompous tech writers in my
day, and marketeers, and salespeople, and dance teachers, and school
teachers, and people on the street. Some people are just jerks, but to
build a stereotype into your association of personality and role...
you're just breeding discrimination.

So to answer the original question, "Let's take a moment to lay out
each of our expectations of each other's role and make sure we're all
on the same page".

- TCD

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:58:02 -0700, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
<dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> Michele Davis wrote:
> > [are] design engineer's so pompous simply *because* they think
> > they are the wellspring of the company?
>
> Only *pompous* engineers are pompous, and they are pompous because they are
> pompous, not because they are engineers.
>
> I assume your experience has led you to the apparent belief that all
> engineers are pompous. That's a shame--mine hasn't led me to the same
> conclusion. Some of my favorite coworkers are developers. :)
>
> I don't think pomposity prefers one profession over another.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com