RE: Is anyone developing help for Eclipse-based products?

Subject: RE: Is anyone developing help for Eclipse-based products?
From: Roger Bell <RogerB -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:07:18 -0400

Chuck Martin wrote:
Hey, I tried an experiement with RH yesterday and this morning. It
output nice HTML files (although I wish they would use the standard
keyword attribute in the meta tag rather than name="MS-HKWD".

I'm wondering 2 things:

CAN RH use the Eclipse Help DTD to automatically generate Eclipse
Help-style XML, and if so, how?

If not, would DreamWeaver's very powerful search and replace funciton
work as well for the purpose as an add-on utility?

-----

Chuck, I don't think I know enough about XML to answer your first question,
but I'll try anyway. I know you must export your entire project to XML in
RH, or you won't get the TOC, index, browse sequence and other files you're
developer will need to plug your help into Eclipse. That is an option you
have in the XML output dialog box. My help topics use our custom screen and
print CSSs and do not rely on any CSS or DTD from Eclipse to my knowledge.

The only reason I use HTML Search and Replace is because it will do more
than search and replace within multiple files at once. It will also add text
or code before or after a string or text. I think you get 30 days free on
the download. But if DW works for you, then use it.

Thanks,
Roger Bell
Senior Technical Writer & UA Developer
http://www.optiosoftware.com