Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

Bruce,

For *many* months, I used this address only for TECHWR-L and for private correspondence with one person only. During that time, I garnered a huge amount of spam and, apparently, this address rapidly found its way on the spam lists of the known universe.

Thus, I am not so sanguine about the effects of the efforts made on this server to save us from the terrors of spam.

However, I am presuming that anyone or any entity who would seek to take over the TECHWR-L and its associated assets would have competent people involved...whether that meant keeping it where it is, or moving it elsewhere.

The original post to which I responded simply said the member would not wish for the server to change.

Were I to be involved in such a proposition, as I have already said I would probably look very intently at moving the list to Mailman with a carefully planned transition. Moving to a different server, therefore, would not be the most difficult thing to execute if it were deemed needful.

In addition, if the sale is an outright one, including hardware and software, the server could be physically relocated or its setup "cloned" fairly readily--thus preserving the present level of configuration.

Any such move would have to involve a transition plan, or, in fact, the value of the property would be much less. Moving to another server--or perhaps to several of them geographically distributed--could be done relatively painlessly if that is what develops (at least from the perspective of the list members).

For all these reasons, I don't regard the physical server as being a "deal breaker" one way or the other--but I certainly do hope that a resolution can be found that will suitably recompense Eric and Deborah and continue the list in much the way it is today in terms of moderation and participation.

Regards,

David

-----Original Message from Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>-----

David Neeley wrote:
> David,
>
> It is immaterial from that standpoint whether it stays on the same server or one elsewhere. A relatively simple transition involving a change in DNS registration and the same email address, same web address, etc. would be maintained.

While I understand the point you are trying to make, I doubt that
switching the server would be a "relatively simple transition." Any
decently maintained server (by which I mean one that is kept secure) is
a minor work of art, not to be thrown lightly away.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com