Re: The STC and me

Subject: Re: The STC and me
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:50:06 -0600

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:21:57 -0400, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> $Congratulations on your accomplishments Robert. However,
> $
> $bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 07/28/2004 09:52:01 AM:
> $| If you find that local activity in your area is not to your liking
> $| , then get on the board and set an example!
> $
> $Nice argument, and it's used often by organisations around the world.
> $Problem is, the argument is completely specious. For an organisation to
> $work, it needs leaders and followers. For it to survive it must attract
> $new members.
> $
> $Was there room in your chapter for ten job bank coordinators? Didn't think
> $so. So what choice do those that didn't like your approach have?

My experience with organizations to which I belong is that there are
more than ample opportunities for members to become involved. Most seem
to be screaming for volunteers to serve on boards and committees or to
assist with projects that can benefit the organization's membership.

So sure, there may be only one position for job bank coordinator, but
chances are, if you express an interest in taking on the job, you will
get the job--if not this year, then next year.

[snip]

> $To be prosperous, an organisation as a whole MUST offer value to members
> $and provide them with services. Otherwise, the organisation will never
> $prosper or it may experience spurts as motivated members join but
> $ultimately suffer a long and slow death as the motivated members are
> $sucked dry and decide to leave and new members are turned off either by
> $the dearth of services and activities or the work required to get them
> $started.

But those services are only as valuable as the members willingness to
use them. An organization like the STC can offer the best services in
the world: fantastic magazines and journals, programming to help the
membership diversify and strengthen their skills, networking
opportunities, and so on.

But if the magazines just gather dust on the bathroom counter. If
members don't attend programming activities. If members don't take
advantage of the networking opportunities, Then all the services the
organization provides are essentially useless. As the line at the end
of an old Apple commercial said, "the best computer is one people will
use."

> $So, to keep members the organisation must provide at least as much value
> $as it demands in effort from members, to grow it must first offer services
> $and value to new members that they will not find elsewhere.
> $
> $I will however argue/agree that a good organisation will require more of
> $its membership than simple payment of dues to stay as members in good
> $standing. But the solicitation for further input or involvement has to be
> $targeted and organised.

Often professional organizations (and a lot of other organizations) rely
on the efforts of a core group of members who are willing to take on
volunteer roles in an organization.

Sure, you can get something out of membership in the organization just
by going home and reading the magazines. But that approach ignores a
lot of the benefits that come from being an *active* member in the
organization.

You don't have to sit on the board. Attending coffee nights and
networking with other members has its benefits. Writing articles for
your chapter newsletter has benefits. Attending the annual chapter AGM
has benefits. So does attending educational programming organized by
your local executive.

> $| No association is going to be perfect. No association is
> $| going to meet everyone's needs. Just because one person's
> $| needs weren't met doesn't mean that the entire organization
> $| is bad, nor does it mean that everyone else should write it
> $| off just because one person wasn't satisfied.

Agreed, 100%.

[snip]

John Fleming
Technical Writer