FW: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: FW: STC Transformation -- info
From: Lippincott Richard J Contr ESC/NI <Richard -dot- Lippincott -at- hanscom -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:54:58 -0400

Bonnie Granat asked:
>Did STC address this issue prominently at the time it became known? If
>not, why not?

They didn't, and my guess is that (other than the possibility of picking
the info up in e-mail postings on the list) they weren't aware of it. The background information came from an aerospace trade magazine (Aviation Week & Space Technology) which reprinted the cockpit voice recorder transcripts, and in a follow-up story uncovered the info that the rudder warning was in the French manuals but not the English ones. It was info apparently deeply buried in an accident report. I'm guessing the STC leadership probably doesn't read that magazine.

And, to take my share, I know that for one I didn't bring it to their attention either. So, I'm not going to blame them for not being aware.

Or, maybe we're being unfair. Maybe the STC office down in VA put out a news release, called a press conference...and nobody bothered to cover it. I honestly don't know.

>But I somehow don't think that the situation T.W. Smith is describing is
>due to leeriness caused by awareness of fatal errors caused by shoddy
>technical writing. However, I could be wrong about that.

And in the follow-up message, it looks like you're right. Hey, I expressed my opinion, and I've been wrong before. Just ask my boss.

--Rick Lippincott
Bedford, MA

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com