Re: opposite of 'assert' -- 'de-assert' OR 'deassert'?

Subject: Re: opposite of 'assert' -- 'de-assert' OR 'deassert'?
From: Sabahat Ashraf <techwhirling -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:44:09 -0700

I have had to deal with that recently. I am part of a semi-mature
fabless semiconductor start-up--meaning I document microchips and
related software and I work almost alone.

In the technical sense, I have chosen to try and enforce "de-assert"
as the standard, partly because I want to stress that a signal that
was being asserted up to that point is changing state--as opposed to
just going to a certain state.

In any other context, I would not accept "deassert" as a real word. [Yet.:D]

Though something like "when you the Reset pin is set, the Signal pin
stomps off in a huff" is definitely something I might try in a
document some time.

From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com <technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:27:06 -0600
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to contacts list |
Trash this message | Show original

> What is the opposite of 'assert'? Is it 'de-assert' or 'deassert'

Assert:
"She asserted her arrival at the grand ball."

Opposite of assert:
"Shortly thereafter, she stomped off in a grand huff 'cause everyone was
all "blah blah blah Cinderella" and not paying any attention to her."

Therefore, the antonym of assert is "stomped off in a huff".

Helpfully,
Mandy...yeah, but it's Friday in somebody's time zone...

--
[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
http://iFaqeer.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com