Another FrameMaker question

Subject: Another FrameMaker question
From: keilanhoo -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:59:55 -0600

I finally convinced my boss to let me use FrameMaker instead of Word.
(Just in time for Adobe to drop it and force me to move to InDesign?)
Anyway, I am currently hammering out templates and have run into a problem
doing what I'd like to do.

The way our docs have been done in the past, the first page in each
chapter may come on either an odd or even page (a thing from my boss - he
insists we have NO "this page intentionally..." blank pages in any
document). I can of course specify the master page usage, so if anything
causes a change in the number of pages in a chapter, I can reset the
master page usage for the first pages of the following chapters. However,
manually setting master pages is time consuming, and may be vulnerable to
mistakes - some of the documents have dozens of chapters, annexes,
appendices, etc.

Rather than run the risk of having pages forced blank because I forget to
set the master page usage in one chapter, I'd like to automate the
process. I have "Odd First" and "Even First" master pages for the first
pages of chapters. Is there some way to set up FrameMaker so it
automatically selects the master page for the first page in the chapter by
reading the page numbers?

Thanks.

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com