Re: Denver Contracting

Subject: Re: Denver Contracting
From: "Stitzel, Ken" <kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:27:38 -0600

Just a quick dip of the oar:

I live sixty miles north of Denver and try to monitor jobs there as a
barometer of regional tech writing market. I think most of the TW jobs must
be through contracting (independent or agency), because there is very very
little advertised. Jobs are there but most are hidden.

This theory is consistent with my local area, in which all of my technical
writing employment for the last three years has been through contracting
agencies. Most independent contractors that I know report very slim pickings
lately.

Agency employment isn't bad (especially compared to not working). If you can
get a long-term contract, you may get some minimal benefits that kick in
after the first year on the job. The contract may also shield you from some
unpleasantries such as unreasonable amounts of unpaid overtime.

Ken Stitzel, currently a rent-a-Fed
Fort Collins, CO

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com