Summary list of Latin translation

Subject: Summary list of Latin translation
From: "Linda Cast" <lcast -at- planview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:31:28 -0500

Many thanks to the great readers who offered a translation for -
Omnia numquam tan aspera sunt quam videntur.

Here's a summary list of the responses - (all said that tan should be tam):

1. "All 'things' are never as hard as they seem."
2. "Nothing is as rough as it appears."
3. "Everything now is as bad as it seems."
4. "Things really are as bad as they look."
5. "Things are never as bad as they seem."
6. "This is as bad as it gets."
7. ("a more colloquial--and more upbeat--translation")"You can be what you aspire to," or, "You can be whatever you want to be."
8. (To be a joke, it probably means") "Everything is just as bad as it looks."
9. "Nothing's as bad as it seems."

We'll surely each have our favorite, and it would be curious to know how the phrasing in such similar translations affects the different readers. Although I like the upbeat version, the wording in #1 inspires me most. It would be fun to know if the author's wife knows what he meant by it.

Cheers,
Linda

> Linda Cast
> Customer Information Developer
> PlanView, Inc.
> 8300 N Mopac Expy #100
> Austin, TX 78759
> 512.498.2269
> lcast -at- planview -dot- com

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com