Re: Okay, it *is* a globe...

Subject: Re: Okay, it *is* a globe...
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:02:56 -0700 (PDT)

Steven,

In my opinion, a logo for a firm that performs services for others err when they seem too pretentious. Rather than such a "macro" view, I'd suggest a much simpler figure of a *part* of a microcircuit leading into a recognizable document--as others have said, with more of a "morphing" effect perhaps. If you choose the board carefully, you can get one with some complexity on the side away from the document and with leads in parallel extending rightward that would become the document...and, if you size and space carefully, with the leads being consistent with the line spacing so the transition from one to the other seems natural and logical.

I agree with Dick that it should also be easily rendered in a single color--think "second sheets" in formal stationery, for example.

In my opinion also, you lose if a logo has no immediately recognizable identity--either as a "brand" in itself or some tie to the business you're in. As the existing logo stands, I think it seems projected on a sphere "because you can" rather than for any cognizable reason.

On the other hand, I am glad the long thread about double-spacing between sentences seems to have resulted in a more cohesive look to the paragraphs!

David

-----Original Message from Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>-----

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on my logo. Apparently it does look
for like a globe. (Special bonus points to the gentleman who suggested it
looks like the Death Star from Star Wars.) Obviously, when I have a chance
I'll have to get an artist to redo it, and make it cleaner. Thanks again.

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com