re: Any sample descriptions for using wildcards?

Subject: re: Any sample descriptions for using wildcards?
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:52:22 +0200

Joe,

You wrote:

> I'm in a bind. I need to describe (in online help for non-technical users)
> how to use wildcareds in a field. Basic idea:
> *j* gets all items that have a j somewhere in the middle of the word
> J* gets all items that start with J
> *j gets all items that end with j. ...

With respect to FrameMaker, a description of wildcards and related
examples can be found in
http://www.microtype.com/files/FTsearch.pdf
(Advanced Aspects of Text-Related Searches).

There may be variations in the interpretation of some wildcards in
different systems/products, so examples you develop should be
tested for your specific product.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
FrameMaker-to-PDF Assistants: Form, Navigation, Presentation, Defaults

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com