Documenting and the Zachman Framework

Subject: Documenting and the Zachman Framework
From: "John New" <jpnew -at- optusnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:38:27 +1000

Hi all,

I'm working on a contract with an organisation who have a documentation
problem.

They have a lot of existing documentation that documents their computer
systems and networks but much of it is incomplete. They also know that there
is a lot that should be documented but isn't.

I've been asked to do a requirements-led analysis using the Zachman
Framework (do a search on Google if you don't know what this is, I didn't).
I am to use the Zachman Framework to analyse what should be documented. Then
compare this with what is already documented and with what isn't but should
be documented (basically assume everything should be). Then prepare a
strategy to create a documentation framework for all documentation. Then
create a project timeline to get everything documented. Then get stuck into
the actual writing.

Has anyone done this before, that is, used the Zachman Framework to help
create a documentation plan? If so, would you like to share your experiences
with me and everyone else? I would very much appreciate it.

Regards,

John New
Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia