RE: Translation costs?

Subject: RE: Translation costs?
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:51:34 -0500

The low costs Geoff quoted are, in my experience, typically from from
independent translators. Remember -- you get what you pay for, and the
costs for an independent translator often do not include a review by a
second translator. Just as a writer should always have someone else
review/edit their documentation, a translator should have their translations
reviewed, and at 0.03/word, I can't imagine that would happen.

The higher costs ($0.20 and above for new translations) usually come from
translation houses, where you get value added in for that extra cost. In
the case of the translation company I use, that means that the translations
are proofed by a second translator for errors. It doesn't guarantee
perfection, but it certainly gets it closer.

My language translations run in the $0.20-0.30 range, and cover a broad
spectrum, including European (east and west), Russian, Middle Eastern, and
Asian. Total: 16 languages for standard translations, 22 for a few select
guides.

Carla Martinek, Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
333 Corporate Woods Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
tel: 847.793.5616 fax: 847.821.1795
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com