RE: techwr-l digest: June 02, 2004

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: June 02, 2004
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:23:42 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:

Translation costs typically run (U.S. dollars) $0.03 to $0.20 per word
based on my experience in the Canadian market, depending on how readily
available translators are (for obscure or less-common subjects, the
cost increases), how much of your work is suitable for machine
translation (translation memories make it easier to re-use text and
thus decrease costs and work well for computer manuals; they don't work
for marketing or poetry), and how much competition there is for
business in your area.

Based on what I learned from the translation companies at the 2004 STC
Conference, I'd say that these figures are WAY low for localizing computer
manuals. I was getting quotes of (U.S.) $.23 to $.50 per word, depending on
the complexity of the material and the target language.

As always, YMMV!

Marguerite

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com