Re: dispensing with documentation reviews

Subject: Re: dispensing with documentation reviews
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:37:37 -0700

(Whoops! I changed the subject line back to "dispensing...")

Au contraire, David, mon ami. Putting on the appropriate
finishing touches is manageable, and I don't think I implied that
it was a problem. The issue, and I seem to be having a problem
getting it out onto the table, is the Procrustean treatment of
the doc cycle. Remember Procrustes? He had the utterly mad
method of applying a single solution to any problem. See
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/procrustes.html for brief
refresher. BTW, I thought Polypemon (sic) was the Cyclops.

Anyway, The key was to recognize that we were servicing the goal
of expediency. not the high values of documentation. I would
contrast this with the developer's work plan, which seems to me
to have clearer goals. But I believe that very few of us got
into tech writing as an expression of our admiration for
utilitarianism over precision/thoroughness. We'll always feel
trapped by any requirements that short-circuit our refined
expectations. Very few of us develop those fur-lined deadline
skills just so we can take on projects in crucibles where agility
and expedience prevail over traditional drivers like 100% topic
coverage and reviewed documentation. Watermarks and TBD notes
are easy enough for us to do, but shortening delivery time by
dropping reviews from the schedule??--we've spent nights and
days, weeks and years training our neurons in how best to get
reviews. I study this far more than grammar or illustration,
layout or design. I would rather try and compress the timeline.
Drop what you're doing and send it? This is a recipe for instant
cognitive dissonance! The good news is that we're adaptable, the
envelope is expandable, and testing continues as tech writing
grows into new extremes of business models. The bad news is that
expediency, as conceived by un-empathic other interests, could be
a test to destruction, if it become more prominent in
documentation requirements.

--Ned "am I editorializing yet?"