Indexing whitepaper from Bright Path

Subject: Indexing whitepaper from Bright Path
From: keith -at- soltys -dot- ca
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:58:27 -0600

Indexing is one of those things that technical writers love to hate. We
know that indexes are one of the primary ways that users access
information in a book or an online help system, and we know that producing
a good index is one of the skills that make us valuable. Yet how many
technical writers like indexing? How many of us can actually produce a
good index? Not that many, I'd wager.

I've been trying to improve my indexing skills for a while now, but
finding information about how to produce a good index hasn't been easy.
Now Bright Path Solutions have just released a white paper called
"<a href="http://www.travelthepath.com/HTML/whitepapers.shtml";>Creating Usable Indexes: A Systematic Approach to Editing Indexes for
Quality and Usability</a>". Its 21 pages provide the best guidelines on
indexing I've seen in my entire technical writing career. This paper is a
gem; in fact it's one of the best pieces of technical writing instruction
that I've seen anywhere. If you are at all interested in improving your
indexing skills, request it from Bright Path. Your readers will thank you.

(Dislaimer: I have no relationship with Bright Path. This is a completely
unsolicitited bit of praise for an excellent piece of work.)

Also posted to my weblog, Core Dump at
www.soltys.ca/coredump/coredump.html

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com