Calling all "Lead Writer" or "Information Architects" -- what do you do? (take II)

Subject: Calling all "Lead Writer" or "Information Architects" -- what do you do? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:55:05 -0400

Bill Swallow responded to my note that "The manager is always right, even if they're wrong.": <<As a manager, the thought of that rule makes me sick to my stomach. But I know where you're coming from, as I've been on the employee side of that equation before, and it wasn't fun at all.>>

I have to say that in my experience, managers who are mature enough to recognize your value and accept your judgment over their own are quite rare. Bill described my suggestion that "The manager quite properly fears that all these added responsibilities will prevent you from keeping up with your writing work" as "a very shallow perception". Agreed. Again, I plead the Scott Adams defence: Perhaps Dilbert-style managers aren't quite as common as Adams suggests, but they're far more common than managers who treat employees as human beings worth listening to.

<<Personally, as a manager, I expect a lead writer to take over a good deal of these duties... it makes for a heck of a lot less documentation-oriented work for the manager, so the manager can focus on the MANAGEMENT portion of his/her job description.>>

I wish every manager had that philosophy. You're a gem among managers.

<<I wouldn't suggest the person avoid roles the manager enjoys... I say go out and do them in order to support your team, and keep your manager well informed of it. You may find that your manager enjoys you taking on the local-team-focused activities so he/she can focus more on the global-team-focused activities.>>

And if you don't find that your manager "enjoys" this, you've just stepped hard on their toes and turned a simple disagreement over roles into a potential pissing match, with the manager occupying the high ground. A good manager will offer forgiveness for doing something new without asking as readily as they offer permission; a bad manager will hit back hard if they perceive you as treading on their territory or ignoring their authority.

<<My honest opinion? Don't worry about your manager's feelings, as they are not important in the corporate sense... Address the elephant in the corner and deal with it up front, now.>>

While that's true "in the corporate sense", and will work fine for a manager like you, it'll also get you fired by several of the managers I've worked for and with. And I don't think that I've been unusually cursed with extraordinarily bad luck on the management front; on the contrary, anecdotal evidence suggests that good managers are relatively rare. I agree that you should confront the issue, but please note that the original poster was already doing this: it was the manager's opposition to her desire to take on more of these higher-level roles that prompted her question to techwr-l.

You're suggesting a more aggressive or confrontational approach that works well with some managers; it worked well with my previous manager, for example. But since I don't know the personality of the manager in this particular situation, other than from what I can (unsafely) infer from the original question, I feel more comfortable recommending a slower, gentler approach that's less likely to stir up the hornets.

<<By telling the team "you gotta get better before we can change the manager's mind" in any way, shape, or form, you are ruining your chances of becoming a leader in the group.>>

I confess, I expressed this part of my advice badly. What I meant by this is that if you want to enlist your teammates in this effort, you need to explain to them why the manager doesn't want you to assume the new roles (once you've found out the manager's reasons). For example: "We have to persuade them that productivity won't suffer because I'm taking on these new duties."

<<Find out why your manager doesn't agree with you. Sit right down and ask. While you're chatting, make note of the things your manager does on a daily basis and what your manager admits wanting to do but doesn't have time for. Then politely suggest small solutions... "I know you'd like to have more time to get our group more integrated into Development, but you also want that content management research done... Why don't I do the research and give you a weekly update on how it's going, that way you can free up your calendar to talk to the Development leads.">>

Agreed. This is excellent advice, with the caveat that the original poster has already tried this to some extent and been stonewalled.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com