Re: Chicken or the Egg

Subject: Re: Chicken or the Egg
From: "M Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:32:45 +0100

"John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote in message
news:239063 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot- [snip]
>...however, some of my windows have as many as
>20-30 fields and dropdown lists.
>I think it's best that I identify the specific place.

The shortened form does this, as long as (i) The field name also fits the
data, and (ii) the field name stands out due to formatting.

"Select a Destination" works if the field is labelled "Destination", and if
the name is highlighted in the text, e.g. bold or italics.

For really big windows where the controls are grouped, I mention the group:
"In Travel Details, select a Destination"

For multi-field windows with no grouping or visual cues, I either present
the procedure as a labelled screenshot, or have recourse to brackets:
"Select a Destination (bottom left)"

"John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote in message news:239063 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

Yeah, I see your point...however, some of my windows have as many as
20-30 fields and dropdown lists. I think it's best that I identify the
specific place.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation