E-mail source depends on the observer?

Subject: E-mail source depends on the observer?
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:23:16 -0400

All, appealing to the technically learned and astute....

This is technical, and it's communication related. :-)

Our company was originally Chrysalis-ITS, and had servers
that said so.

Then, last summer, Rainbow Technologies bought us.
So, we all acquired e-mail addresses "xxx -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com"
but it was still the old Chrysalis servers actually handling
the mail (we use Outlook on our desktops, connecting to
Exchange Server).

Then, this year, SafeNet bought Rainbow.
So, we all acquired "xxx -at- ca -dot- safenet-inc -dot- com" addresses,
but it was still the old Chrysalis servers... you get the
idea.

PROBLEM
When I send a message, SOME people see it coming from
"mlist -at- ca -dot- safenet-inc -dot- com", and OTHER people see it from
"mlist -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com". I'm not the only one at the company
with the problem, but I'm the one connected to several
mailing lists, so it's a big problem for me.

(I can demonstrate the thing by sending a message to [say]
somebody -at- sympatico -dot- ca and somebody-else -at- magma -dot- ca, and
the sympatico recipient sees me as SafeNet, while the
Magma recipient sees me as Rainbow. Same message. Yuck!)

If I send to some of those lists, they bounce my mail, saying
that 'mlist -at- ca -dot- safenet-inc -dot- com" is not a member. Fine.
If I try to subscribe, the listserver gets confused and either
can't send me the confirmation message, or doesn't believe
me when I respond to confirm.

There seem to be two camps out there, with regard to parsing
message headers. I'd like to resume technically communicating
again... :-) so if anybody has suggestions, please shout.
If this seems too off-topic, reply privately and I'll summarize
for the list.

Thankee kindly,

/kevin (communicating brokenly)

--
The following text added by my employer, outside my control:
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com