Re: Using dashed underline in CSS

Subject: Re: Using dashed underline in CSS
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:21:21 -0400

bcliver -at- manu -dot- com wrote:

I have a style sheet with the entry below. I used a third-party tool to validate the CSS. Internet Explorer 6.0 SP 1 correctly displays a dashed line under the text that uses this style. However, Netscape 7.1 renders a solid line. (Netscape correctly displays most other styles.) Is Netscape rendering this incorrectly? Or is there a better way to craft the style?

span.TermLink
{
color: #006699;
font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
text-decoration: none;
border-bottom: 1px dashed
}

Barry,

I'm in the middle of a redesign for our company site, and I've cribbed a number of useful styles from other sites in the process, modifying them as needed. One of the things I've noticed as I work through this is that Netscape 7.1 definitely renders certain things differently from IE 6, especially in the area of borders and backgrounds. Nonetheless, these styles are not _broken_ in Netscape. They're just rendered differently; and the differences are generally wallpaper seams--once the wall is papered, nobody will notice but you. I'd say it's not so much an error as the fundamental nature of browsers. There's a degree of freedom in there that is beyond the designer's control. And that's even before we address the question of whether we have any business as designers controlling the way the user sees stuff in a browser in the first place.

I think this is an example of [extremely] small stuff, and we shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

If you really need dashed underscores to mark a semantic distinction, maybe you should settle on some other convention that renders more consistently between the browsers.

Dick

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com