Re: Convert table-intensive word doc to .pdf?

Subject: Re: Convert table-intensive word doc to .pdf?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:11:22 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:

Sarah Vasil wonders: <<I have a large Word file (1066 KB) comprised almost entirely of tables. When I convert it to .pdf, the file gets even larger (1369 KB). It looks like Acrobat is treating the tables like graphics. Am I right?>>

That sounds like a fairly small file, actually: 1000K = 1 Meg. I've distilled much bigger files with no problems. Is the number correct? If it truly is a large file, this suggests that there are graphics you're forgetting, since Word is reasonably efficient in creating and managing tables.

Geoff,

I looked at Sarah's file and the PDF had a 700K cross-reference table that entirely accounts for the difference between her PDF and the one I created from the same file. I surmised that she has a conversion setting screwed up somewhere, and she is going to investigate that.

Dick

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com