Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way

Subject: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:34:55 -0400

Hello, all. I know the "convention" for writing these days is single spacing between sentences, not double-spacing. But to my eye, double-spacing looks better -- it helps each sentence stand out more clearly -- and my philosophy has always been to follow my judgement if/when the conventions seem flawed. I've revised my Web site recently, and since I am actively seeking contracts, making a good impression on Web visitors is especially important.

My questions are:
1. How many people out there agree with me that the single-space convention is flawed, and should be reconsidered?
2. For those single-space fans out there, how many of you would reject a potential writer simply on account of his use of double-spacing on a Web site, or resume? (If you want to see how it looks in practice, check out my site, URL is below.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com