re: translation tool question

Subject: re: translation tool question
From: Jeff Allen <jeff -at- multilingual -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 11:08:02 +0200

Subject: translation tool question
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com> wrote 15 Apr
2004

From: Bill <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net> replied 16 Apr 2004
> Wow. That's a laborious way to do it. Are you sure they don't just translate
> the Frame files? It would be much easier. There are several translation
> memory tools that support Frame.
>
> Unless you want truly horrible translations, I don't recommend this approach.
> First, machine-translation utilities like Babelfish (as implemented on the
Web)

From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> 16 Apr 2004 replied:
> I don't have any experience with that program, but I've tinkered with
> translation programs here and there (bable fish was one of them but that
> was a while ago). My experience has been that these translation programs
> aren't very good. Your translator should be translating the docs, not just
> editing them. Will he be reading the English version before putting the docs
> through translation software? If not, you could end up with some pretty
strange
> information that might be grammatical, but be odd or simply wrong.

Sorry my late reply. I've been on a few trips lately with restricted e-mail
access.

Lisa, you should look up your colleague Frank Brewer who did a lot of
investigation into MT in the mid-to-late 1990s.

A significant amount of informative information, from basic to very technical,
is available for free at my Machine Translation web page, accessible via my web
site (http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/). Some of these papers and
discussion threads explain the types of translation approaches and the software
tools (online web, packaged software, and custom systems) that correspond to
those approaches. There are also several complete MT software reviews at that
site.

I have agreed to give tutorials at the AMTA2004 conference in Sept 2004 in
Washington DC: one giving a summary of writing principles for improving MT
translation output and one on improving MT output and working with it
(including an intro on how MT systems process info, building custom MT
dictionaries and performing MT postediting -- how to correct MT output -- by
using a few different commercial MT systems).

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
Advisory Board
MultiLingual Computing & Technology magazine
jeff -at- multilingual -dot- com or jeff -dot- allen -at- free -dot- fr
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com